Faith at Ambleside
Statement of Faith
We believe that a Christ-centered school is a school that acknowledges the sovereignty of God, the authority of the Word of God, the Lordship of Jesus Christ, and the power of the Holy Spirit in all of life. It does not seek to divide life or education into spiritual and secular compartments, but rather acknowledges that all truth is God’s truth and all learning is an effort to relate to God, self, others, and the created world. It values each student as created by God, with gifts to be strengthened, weaknesses to be overcome, and responsibilities to be carried out. It respects the system of authority that God has established and calls parents and teachers to partner in the training and education of students. It calls students to submit to the loving mentors that God has provided for this purpose. As a Christ-centered school, we hold to the following foundational beliefs:
1. The Bible, both Old and New Testaments, is revered as the inspired, infallible and fully authoritative Word of God in all of its teaching. Faithful adherence to the teaching of Scripture is essential in the life of a Christian. (2 Tim 3:15-17); (2 Pet 1:20-21).
2. God, who is eternally existent in three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit1, is the creator of all truth and governs all things2 according to the purpose of His will. (Matt 28:18-20); (1 Cor 8:6); (Isaiah 46:10).
3. God has created people uniquely, knows them fully, and desires to have a personal, vibrant relationship with them, but they are separated from Him because of their sinfulness. (Gen 1:27); (Isaiah 59:2); (Rom 5:12); (Rom 3:23); (Rom 6:23); (John 3:16).
4. God the Son came to earth in human form, fully God and fully man, to live a sinless life, to be crucified, and to rise again from the dead as the only ransom for sinners and the only mediator between God and mankind. 1(John 1:1, 14); 2(2 Cor 5:21); 3(Isaiah 53:4-5); 4(Matt 20:28); 5(1 John 4:10); 6(1 Cor 15:3-4); 7(1 Tim 2:5-6). God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through His Son, Jesus Christ. 8(Rom 10:9-10).
5. All people will be resurrected, either unto eternal life with God or eternal separation from Him. (Phil 3:18-21); (Matt 25:46).
6. Upon our acknowledgement of our own sinfulness and acceptance of Jesus’ sacrifice on our behalf, the Holy Spirit continues the work of regeneration, including conviction of sin, new birth, and growth in Christian maturity. 1(Rom 4:5); 2(John 16:13); 3(John 3:3); 4(John 14:26).
7. God surrounds us with other people to encourage, exhort, and correct us. He calls us to spiritual unity as believers in Jesus Christ, across racial, gender, and socio-economic lines. 1(Heb 10:24-25); 2(Eph 4:1-5); 3(Gal 3:28).
This Statement of Faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe. For purposes of Ambleside School’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline, our Board of Trustees is Ambleside School’s final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application to the Statement of Faith.